I feel like Peter in Office Space, I want to do nothing, forever. I like school, and I realize that I need to go through school to have a "career", but I feel like I'm riding an exercise bike expecting to go somewhere. I need something concrete to make it seem like I've accomplished something. All I have is my personal experience. Its all abstract.
I'm reading Landscape of History by John Lewis Gaddis, and its fantastic. Its a history book about the inner workings of the past and the historian. It really cements my position as a history major. I read this quote over and over and its still fantastic,
"We pride ourselves on not trying to predict the future, as our colleagues in economics, sociology, and political science attempt to do. We resist letting contemporary concerns influence us-the term 'presentism,' among historians is not a compliment. We advance bravely into the future with our eyes fixed firmly on the past: the image we present to the world is, to put it bluntly, that of a rear end."
OHEMGEE, It prides me to be a student of history.
I'll talk to you.
For real.
Monday, April 12, 2010
Office Space
Posted by Mikey Poe at 10:44 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I totally hear yah with that first paragraph, except for the whole liking school part haha.
I should have said I like my professors and books. I hate school.
I had to read that book for 398. It got on my nerves at time with his writing style, but it conveyed something worth reading.
Yeah he tries to be "elegant", but really at some points, he just talks a lot. Haha
Post a Comment